Chamber of Idiots

Monday, November 07, 2005

Long time no see

It's been a hellishly long time since I last blessed you with my inevitably impeccable words of wisdom, about school life and stuff like that. And naturally, given school's just ended and Sec 2B's been officially (but not spiritually, of course) disbanded, there'd be plenty I have to say with my comeback from incessant Gunbound and Pokemon (yea, you heard me). Lol.

So let's just start with the top of the list -- 2B. Yea, fond memories of stuffing a box on our Royal Jester's oversized head, legendary chronicles of fruit missile assaults and plenty more... I'll miss those days. I'm sure I will. I mean, which other class would have the same chemistry, common blood flowing through their veins even though they aren't supposed to be blood-related? 2B, friends... If you were to allow me to be elitist for just a moment, I think that apart from the so-called "learning atmosphere" the school claims to have, it's these two things that set RI apart from other schools. Its what makes us want to go to school (yes, quite an unthinkable prospect), just simply to laugh (at others) to enjoy each other's company, and above all, to have fun.

So with the advent of subject choices, and the class split, the inevitable has arrived -- the disbanding of our sacred cult. Its a very sad sort of moment, and if you find an uncustomary lack of humour or the occasional flourish of language, it's probably because I'm reminiscing about the past, and thoroughly mourning the misery of seeing friends that've made your school life more than what anyone could ever expect leave for other classes in pursuit of their interests. Yet, I think I ought to take heart, because like any legendary society, any sacred band of brothers, the spirit stays on, and 2B lives on forever.

And now that I'm done dramatizing what appears to be a relatively trivial matter (it certainly isn't though. Mere mortals fail to comprehend the bond 2B shares), let's move on to something that contributed to this class split -- subject choices.

Its funny how teachers, and the education system as a whole, tries to make life easy for you, but does just the opposite. In this case, they force you to make an agonising choice between going with your friends (whom they've made you form an impeccable chemistry with), the "wise choice" for your career, and your interests. Nasty little three way split right there, and I'm caught with a foot in two of them, and my head stuck in the other.

A large bulk of my best pals are taking double science, lit and geog, and I'd love to follow them. But you see, what I'm truly passionate for is actually double science, lit and history, which is a rather unsavoury choice for most due to its heavy humanities dependence. It takes a lot of literary talent (hehe...) to take these subjects, and that's something that I think I have. Yea, ego. I love that feeling.

So anyway, digressions apart, I now realise that that's a bit of a spastic choice, because on one hand, I don't think I'll have many friends helping me cope with Maths and Science and stuff (partly due to the fact that I'll have to make some more, which is not one of my fortes), and that it won't really give me many career choices. I mean... off the tip of my fingers I can think of this -- engineering (which is, by no means on my top 10 favourites list), law... er... law... and that's pretty much it.

But when you consider it, what's the point of struggling through 2 long years of suffering at the hands of scientific material? It simply doesn't make sense! But when I look at it from my career's point of view, it doesn't make any bloody sense either! Man, what is the problem with this choice thing?

Right now, I'm typing this blog entry out, with the subject choice list on another webpage. I haven't touched it yet, so I'm thinking. My minds' slanted towards double science, lit and history, but i don't know. And at the same time, I'm cursing the MOE, wondering why they don't just make us take all the subjects at one go. I mean, that saves us a hell lot of trouble. Besides, we don't have O levels anymore. Why not make use of that extra time for more learning? You mean that as educated people who went through 14 years of education you actually agree with the "teach less, learn more" nonsense?

Puh-leez.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home