Chamber of Idiots

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Of Triumph and Emptiness

Life is full of little ironies. Take for instance, work. I've been terribly busy the past week, which is understandable -- I've been juggling practice for Prometheum XI and prep sessions for a random, relatively unimportant debate competition that everyone really wants to win, which implies staying back in school till 9 pm when there's a Mathematics TA the next morning.

To the average, possibly unimportant reader of this blog, pity and sympathy for the fatigue that I felt (and am still feeling) is inevitable. To a more sophiscated, more involved creature like me, however, the catharthic effect of the end of the Mayor's Debate Series and Prometheum on Saturday was nothing more than a temporal relief of a mild case of nerves and backaches. Somehow, the conclusion to a truly hectic week seemed so much less satisfying than I had hoped it to be. No, it wasn't the fact that the exhaustion hadn't worn off yet -- that was a matter of rest. Rather, Somehow or another, the end of Prometheum left me feeling... how should I say... empty.

Perhaps it was because I loved what I was doing too much. I like to sound noble, to sound like I'm dedicated to whichever cause I pledge my services to. But really, much as I enjoy putting on a front of self-importance, the truth is that I do enjoy creating musical fusion, so to say, or insulting the intelligence of a sub-par opposition team with the might of language. I claim not to be particularly good at playing the sax or debating, but it's the passion for whichever pursuit I engage in that makes it worthwhile. So maybe -- just maybe, the emptiness I feel stems from what was a forceful divorce from both my two true loves -- music and logic.

Or maybe I feel empty because suddenly my life lacks purpose. For a whole week I felt important -- like everybody needed me at practice. It was a feeling of triumph, of recognition that there were people that recognized my worth. And that felt good. It felt so good.

But I have an inkling that I am not as noble, not as important I as think myself to be. The reason for that void in me is not because of fluffy ideals of love, or because of my contributive ability. No, I am not a man of excellent depth of character, nor a very intelligent one. I just come across as one of these people. Quite the contrary, in fact, for really, the reason for this emptiness in me is a recognition of my real worth.

But I like to keep my identity, my inner karma something of an enigma. I like to make myself a mysterious man. So don't bother attempting to probe into my privacy, to discover the hesitance I've discovered about myself, because I'm not telling. Quite frankly, a blog is not a suitable place to pour out all of my secrets.

This week has been a triumph -- great concert, great music, great speeches. But that only accentuates the tragedy of self-discovery. The fact that this post has been dry, boring, and above all, all about me, will put off most people. But it really doesn't matter -- today this blog is not for entertainment, but more of an avenue for relaying my discontentment, my jealousy, and my tragedy, in a violently botched attempt at filling up the void that now resides in me.


1 Comments:

  • post concert blues eh? you'll get over it =)

    By Blogger Brian, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home